At Teddington School teachers, parents and students all believe in creating opportunities beyond the curriculum set by the government. Whilst we are proud of our examination results, we know that those alone do not make for a well-rounded person; we are committed to developing the whole child. As this is one of our core philosophies at Teddington School, we expect every child to attend at least one extra-curricular activity per term.
We have worked hard over the last academic year to improve what we can offer our children at Teddington School. The area of extra-curricular activities will continue to grow and hopefully with your support and encouragement our students will share many happy memories, learn new skills and grow into interested and interesting people.
Why is Enrichment imporant?
- To encourage a pride in being part of Teddington School
- To develop friendships across the school community and support children to build a circle of peers who share a common interest/hobby/goal
- To promote a healthy balance between school and life and complement and extend the statutory curriculum by providing opportunities to develop new skills which could offer an insight into possible career choices or life-time hobbies
- To offer a balanced and relevant selection of activities.
The Benefit to Students
- The opportunity to explore and try out new activity which is not already catered for via home life
- Students participating in extra-curricular activities tend to have better grades and a more positive attitude to school as well as learning
- To learn time management and prioritising aspects of their lives learning about long term commitments
- 30 per cent of job applications as well as UCAS applications should be about extra-curricular activities. An interesting activity will help them stand out.
PE at Teddington provides equal opportunities for all our students, encouraging them to actively engage in lifelong physical activity. We always look to offer a comprehensive and exciting range of extra-curricular sports clubs from Kayaking to Volleyball. Run by either our staff of outside coaches, these clubs are open to all. Alongside this we work with sports clubs and organisations such as Teddington Hockey Club and Royal Canoe Club.
Teddington has incredible facilities which facilitate many alternative sports. Within our curriculum all students will participate in all areas, however extra-curricular allows students to gain more experience in these settings and enhance their skill level. This has allowed us to be incredibly successful in many competitions.
Please note that satellite clubs are run by some of our school sports linked clubs and are open to students from all schools in the Borough of Richmond. We advertise these clubs to enable the students to have access to further extra-curricular opportunities and these have proven to be successful in the past. In some cases, payment will be required for these clubs via ParentPay. This also means that we will not be using these sessions to select school teams.
Participation and performance underpin our ethos of ‘lifelong participation’. We are delighted with our range of competition here at Teddington. We compete in local Richmond Borough Leagues, Middlesex Cup, Football National Cup and London Youth Games in a variety of sports.
The Psychological benefits of sport are of vital importance and through consistent participation and performance, every Teddington student is given the opportunities to succeed, irrespective of ability, develop self-esteem and self-confidence.